Skip to main content

A Tribute To A Soldier


There is something I take for granted. Something I sometimes forget to give thanks for. Something I have shared in all my life. That something is our beautiful flag. That red, white and blue, that flag that sometimes flies strong on its pole, sometimes hangs limp there, that flag we put up every morning, and take down at night. That flag that sometimes flies through the night in the gleam of the spot light. That flag that has come to me at a great cost, at the sacrifice of great men and women. That flag that God has allowed to fly free over my great home of America.

Because God has allowed her to guard our great land, we are free to do many things. Free to enjoy a life of plenty.

I can drive to Walmart, Sam's, Dillion's or any store at anytime and see shelves upon shelves of food from canned fruits and vegetables, to flour, sugar, bread, meats---you name it!  Instead of walking into a little store, your footsteps echo off empty shelves and you're told "There is no sugar, flour, beans, or bread---until after the war.

I can tiptoe to my bedroom window and stare out into the moonlit night. It's so peaceful there, stars by the millions, and I dream.   Instead of laying there---listening, wide eyed, to the faraway roar of a plane. Knowing they are on their way to yet another raid. Knowing your sweetheart is in the pilot's seat.

I can hop on the four wheeler and ride around in the pasture, counting the cattle that are grazing so peacefully.   Instead of seeing broken down fences that jeeps have ran through, scaring the cattle----upsetting life.

I can get up to a beautiful sunrise, put on my jogging gear, and take off down the road, runnng free, running happy.   Instead of watching a plane heading straight at me, fear raising within my very being. Knowing I must run, run as fast as I can----for shelter.

I can look into the eyes of my grandchildren: seeing them full of laughter, full of love, full of contentment.   Instead of a pair of little eyes looking at me full of fear asking, "How long Grandma?"

I can watch from my window at night as the lightning flashes, the thunder roars, and rain pours down, so at peace there beside my husband.   Instead of laying there, covers pulled up to my chin, eyes wide with fear, knowing that flash was from a bomb----how close?

I can climb to the top of Pikes Peak, boat down a winding river, walk barefoot in the sand, and fish at a quiet mountain stream.

I can make my grandchildren cookies, bread, a good meal.  Instead of wondering where our next meal will come from.

I can take hold of my husband's hand as we bow our heads at the table, so thankful for what we have, or walk freely into the church of our choice.   Instead of thanking God for His blessings in a whisper, our head held high, our eyes open----afraid of being seen.

I can snuggle down beside my husband on a winter's night, there on the old couch: laughing together, talking together.   Instead of setting there all alone, wonderng where he is, wondering is he ok, wondering if he will ever come home.

I know, my soldier, that you have carried that flag to many a battle. I know you have watched your buddies fall at your side. I know you have looked at empty beds, and wondered why them and not me. I feel the deep fear you must have everytime you are leaving on another raid. I see the pain deep in your heart as you kiss your sweetheart, your wife, your child---good-bye. I know how lonely you must get way over there, all alone. I know all of this.

But do you know how grateful I am to you? Do you know that I hurt everytime I see one of you bend to kiss your sweetheart good bye? Do you know how proud I am when I see one of you in uniform, even if I don't know your name? Do you know that I am humbled to think you would give your life for my freedom? Do you know I cry when I watch you look at those empty beds, or see you bent over your buddy---sobs racking your strong frame? Well, I do and I always will, because you are my heroes.

Yes, when I see that flag flying free in a school yard or hanging limp on a front porch. When I stand beside a grave and watch that flag be lifted off the coffin and folded so carefully, and handed to a loved one. When I see her flying in a courthouse lawn or watch as she passes me by in a parade. I am thankful. I remember.....

On October 22nd we are to call a Veteran that we know. I want to rerun this thank-you to all my brave men and women---to all my heroes. Thank you to all of you!!    The next chapter of my book with be published next week.

Comments

  1. Thank you dear cousin, yes all Veterans, past and present are Heroes <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Helen, for putting into words what all of us feel in our hearts. I have 2 brothers who were in the military and it came at a cost, even now one of them struggles with the war in Vietnam and the lack of respect for them when they came home. Hope we all can remember those who have given their lives for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written my Dear!! Nov.11th is our Remembrance Day.We wear a poppy to remember those who fought for our freedom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 21 Move Over----We're Coming

It was the last week in January and the building was complete. It sat just north and east of our house. Goodness, compared to our current little metal farrowing huts, we appeared to really be in business. It measured 24 x 80 and was brown in color with a white roof. Two grain bins sat at the north side. One held grain for the farrowing and one for the nursery. An auger tube ran from the bin into the building so you could fill your buckets inside. There was a large pit at the end where all the goody would go for storage. Inside, fourteen crates sat on top of slatted flooring. Seven on each side, with a wide aisle down the middle and an aisle behind each row of crates. At the end of the middle aisle was the door into the nursery. Four large pens lined both sides back there with feeders and automatic waters in each pen. This was where the baby pigs would come at three weeks to be weaned from momma. Everything about this building was brand new. There was a very important reason for that!

The Heart Buds {Current}

She rocked back and forth there on the deck as the sun sank lower in the western skies. It had been one of those days that she was so happy to be alive. So happy to let her heart fly free in the warm breeze. She sat there wondering...what was happening to her? She had changed somehow. Oh yes she will forever be a farmers wife. She will always love the feel of wind in her hair, sunshine on her face, raindrops dripping off her nose. She will forever love to sit among the pasture grass on a warm summers night, and watch as the sun turns the western sky to oranges and golds. Or raise her face to let the moonbeams dance all around her, or thrill to the call of the coyote. She will always love the simple country life. She always loved the springtime on the farm. She loved to watch as tiny little buds popped out on a tree limb. She loved to see the pear trees spread their white cloud of blossoms against the dark blue sky. She loved to kneel there in the flower beds, take her hand and wipe

Chapter 18 His First Big Step

I sat on a little chair there in the kindergarten room. Bret stood as close to me as he could get, curiously looking from one side of the room to the other. On my lap sat Kate, playing with my purse handle as she watched Mrs Miller move around her desk. We had come to visit with Mrs Miller. She would be Bret's teacher in about two weeks. Mrs Miller was an older lady and so very gentle. Her room was very colorful. There was an area where all colors of blocks sat in little containers. There was a larger area where a big chair sat in front and all around were books. I could picture little Bret sitting there with his friends, cross legged on the floor, all eyes on Mrs. Miller as she read them their favorite books. I was sure Bret would enjoy his days there with her and all his little friends. As we visited, Bret moved slowly away from me and cautiously around the room exploring here and there, but little Kate sat stuck to my lap. A few days later, Bret, Kate and I went to Wa