Skip to main content

The Grandfather Clock

The pendulum of the grandfather clock swung slowly back and  forth as he lifted his little bride into his arms and carried her over the threshold of the old two story white farm house.  He stood there for a bit, just inside that door, holding the woman of his dreams.

Just outside the window stood the old barn and corrals and the one upright silo. Behind lay the little farm that he would  be renting. They were starting their life together. They were young and in love.

So the pendulum on that old grandfather clock swings back and forth, back and forth, passing the minutes, the hours, the days. Each month he reaches up and turns the calendar, another month shows and another picture of bales in the field, or mountain streams.  He turns the pages one at a time until the old calendar comes down and a new one feels its place.

They work together, season after season, year after year. Spring comes along with baby calves, and farm sales, and the purchase of an ole pull plow, a used tractor, a disc and some feed bunks, to list a few. Summer comes with its big open skies, cattle peacefully grazing in the pasture, alfalfa laying in fresh cut rows, and wheat fields turning a golden yellow.  Season after season. Spring, summer, then fall with its colorful leaves, its fall harvest, the cattle once again brought in from the pastures, the calves bawling for their mothers as they are weaned and placed in the feedlots.

 Then the first snowflake hits their noses and the cold north wind blows. The chores start in earnest. Morning and night they bundle up and step out into the cold, their breath coming in little clouds and their boots crunching the fluffy white snow.

Still...the old grandfather clock swings its pendulum slowly back and  forth, back and  forth, as the chimes call out the half hours, the hours, and he turns yet another page of the calendar. They work together. They learn together. They stand together. They hold their faith together.

There are happy jolly days. There are sad dark days. There are days that seem to stand still just waiting to find out that is next. Will the war come between them?  Will he come back to her? Will he see his little son who is born while he is far away across the ocean?

Yet the old grandfather clock's pendulum swings back and forth. Now it is her who changes the pages on the calendar. It is her who takes down the calendar and replaces it with a new one. But still she waits. She knows he is waiting too.....somewhere out there.......Somewhere he is looking up into the vast night sky, remembering her as he looks at the full moon. He remembers their promise. "Promise me that when the moon is full, you will go out and look up and know that the same moon beams are falling to your face as they are to mine.....


Well, my friends, I have in mind to write my first fiction book. I have had a topic in mind for some time now and it seems to be pushing to get out and onto paper.  I have not decided just how far it will go as far as public is concerned, but I wanted to share just a small part of my thoughts with you to see what you thought. Thanks for all your support these years. I will be busy writing my book but every once in awhile I will visit you on my blog.

Comments

  1. Happy to hear that you are taking the plunge dear cousin. I will be anxiously awaiting each chapter, I hope you intend to share as you go <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW !!! A flood of emotion came over me as I read your life story !!! Time has passed as it always has until ??? Tell us the rest of the story ??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Heart Buds {Current}

She rocked back and forth there on the deck as the sun sank lower in the western skies. It had been one of those days that she was so happy to be alive. So happy to let her heart fly free in the warm breeze. She sat there wondering...what was happening to her? She had changed somehow. Oh yes she will forever be a farmers wife. She will always love the feel of wind in her hair, sunshine on her face, raindrops dripping off her nose. She will forever love to sit among the pasture grass on a warm summers night, and watch as the sun turns the western sky to oranges and golds. Or raise her face to let the moonbeams dance all around her, or thrill to the call of the coyote. She will always love the simple country life. She always loved the springtime on the farm. She loved to watch as tiny little buds popped out on a tree limb. She loved to see the pear trees spread their white cloud of blossoms against the dark blue sky. She loved to kneel there in the flower beds, take her hand and wipe...

Just Over The Threshold

Sometimes the deepest, heartfelt lessons are learned at the bedside of your dear gray haired friend. At the bedside of someone who is far wiser that yourself. At the bedside of someone who has loved you like a daughter. This is my story. Those three little words "I love you" are so small but yet so strong, so beautiful. They are as beautiful as God Himself. They can go deep into the human heart, softening every part and changing you for always. Those three little words can bring you pure sunshine, especially if they are whispered into your ear by a dear friend. I have regrets. I have very deep regrets. They tear deep at my soul, my heart. You see when my own father, my dear husband's mother, and a small number of my other dear friends were in the hospital, I could not go to them. I have never stepped my foot into a hospital room. I just couldn't. I couldn't because my heart was not willing to trust. So I will forever live with regrets. I will forever wish I ...

Chapter 10 Welcome Little Sister

Grandpa and Grandma's old blue pickup was all shined up, its camper was on and it sat ready in their driveway. Mark was over at Roy and Jeannie's getting the last minute milking instructions. It was late September. I felt a little alone in a way. Everyone was heading for a church convention. Mark, Bret and I were staying home to keep the home fires burning. We were staying home for a very special reason! Very special! I patted my tummy. "You know little one, you're well worth staying home for! We don't know who you are but we all three love you to pieces already!" I told my baby. Yes, Bret was three years old and we were going to have our second little baby! It was a month yet before we would see this little one, but my mother made me promise that I would stay home! There is something so comforting when a day's work it complete, and the family is all home. The lights go on, the curtains are pulled and darkness engulfs your little house. Inside I was...